Search for answers or go to Knowledge Base Home
SmartWire SL9600TW Installation Instructions
SL9600TW Interior Layout
Step 1: Controller Installation
All SL9600TW controller housings are designed for indoor or outdoor installation. Your SL9600TW controller can be located in any convenient spot providing access to the system wiring and power supply. Wall mount or pedestal enclosure mount can be utilized by purchasing the optional SLPED-ENC. It is recommended that you choose a location where the irrigation system will not be spraying directly on the controller, in the event that the housing door is left open.
- Open the controller’s front door. Grasp the 90 degree tab at the top of the stainless steel hinge pin and lift the pin out of the hinge channel. Set the door and hinge pin aside during mounting.
- Next, open the large hinged control panel door and disconnect the ribbon cable from the pin connector located above zone module slot 1. Then pull up on the spring loaded pin at the bottom of the panel and then tilt the bottom of the panel outward so that the panel hinge pin at the top drops out of the retaining hole in the housing. Set the control panel door aside in a safe place.
- If you are mounting the SL9600TW in an enclosure pedestal, see the instructions provided with the pedestal as well as refer to the instructions given on this sheet.
Note: The SLCP control panel does not need to be removed from the control panel door during Installation.
Step 2: Wallmount the SL9600TW
1/4” screws and 5/16” masonry anchors are provided.
- Determine mounting height for easy viewing and be sure to mount low enough for field wires to reach all controller wiring terminals.
- Using one of the 1/4” mounting screws (or a pencil) mark the location of the top/center keyhole onto the wall (see photo below).
- Using a 5/16” drill, install a wall anchor in the marked position then install the mounting screw Into the anchor. Allow the screw head to protrude from the anchor just enough for a firm fit inside the keyhole. Align controller housing for a level fit on the wall. Insert 1/4” screws (provided) into each of the 4 mounting holes at each corner of the housing and drive the screws through the housing and into the wall to mark each screw location. Remove the screws and the housing from the wall and drill 5/16” holes for the rest of the screw anchors. Insert anchors in the wall. Remount the controller housing on the keyhole and re-insert and tighten the rest of the mounting screws into the anchors. Note: A mounting position for a sixth screw is provided at the bottom of the housing for optional use.
Step 3: AC Power Wiring
Warning: Connecting the SL9600TW controller to the primary power should be done by a licensed electrician following all local codes. To prevent electrical shock, go to the electrical supply breaker box and make sure the circuit breaker to be used is OFF before connecting the power supply wiring. Electrical shock can cause severe injury or death. This controller is not intended for use by children. Do not allow children to play with the controller.
- Remove the two screws that secure the AC Wiring Cavity Panel. This will allow access to the primary wiring terminal.
- Make sure the ON/OFF AC POWER SWITCH located just above the wiring cavity is in the OFF position during wiring.
- Utilize code approved conduit fixtures for the primary power supply wiring.
- The AC terminal is marked for Neutral, Earth Ground, 120V and 230V connections. For 120V/60Hz power supply, connect ground to the GREEN or Copper wire; connect Neutral to the WHITE wire and 120V to the BLACK wire. For 230V connection, check your local codes for wire colors for Earth Ground, Neutral and 230V.
- Replace the AC Wire Cavity Panel and secure with the screws.
- Return to the breaker box and turn on the circuit breaker. Return to the SL9600TW and turn the AC ON/OFF switch to the ON position. Check the power indication light located under the fuse compartment. If wiring is successful and the power is on, you will see a GREEN light. If no light is visible, re-check your wiring. If fuse is blown, the light will be RED.
- Power requirement Information: Current draw for the SL9600TW in idle mode with 48 zones utilized is 60 mA on a 120VAC line.
Step 4: 24VAC Valve Wiring
Wire Connections for 120VAC
|Transformer Wire color||AC Input Wire||Note|
|Black||120VAC Hot||(cover with wire nut)|
|White||Neutral||(cover with wire nut)|
|Green/Yellow||Earth Ground||(typically green wire)|
Step 5: Control Panel Installation
With the controller and optional SLW installation complete, re-insert the control panel door into the housing. Reconnect the ribbon cable and lock the retaining tabs.
Installation is complete! Proceed to your Owner’s Manual to program your controller.