SLGDT Lightning Arrestor Installation Guide
A powerful inexpensive way to protect your SmartWire™ system components from lightning strikes. SmartWire™ Lightning Arrestors attach directly to the SmartWire™ 2-wire system and help dissipate static electricity generated by a nearby lightning strike. While all SmartWire™ components have optical isolators and other lightning arresting features, the Lightning Arrestor provides an important extra measure of protection.
- Protects SmartWire™ from excessive static charges created by a lightning strike.
- Connects directly to the SmartWire™ 2-wire system for ease of installation
- Sealed and impervious to moisture, salts, fertilizers and mild chemicals
- Shock resistant
- Freeze/heat resistant (-20 to 60 C)
- No electrical contact with the soil
- Each Lightning Arrestor protects a 300 foot radius
Requires no power from SmartWire™
Can only be connected to SmartWire™ systems
Size: 2” x 2” x 1”
SmartWire™ wires, red and black, 12”
Ground wire: green
How to Specify and Order:
SLGDT Lightning Arrestor
- Installs directly on the SmartWire™ red and black wires
- Attaches to ground rod* via green wire
- Suggested that a Lightning Arrestor be placed every 600 feet along the SmartWire™ 2-Wire path
- Can be buried directly in the soil
- One Lightning Arrestor should be within 25 ft of the SmartLine® or ProLine™ controller
- A single stub line must not exceed 50 feet without a Lightning Arrestor
- Connect green wire to an 8’ copper clad UL approved ground rod or other approved grounding method to obtain 12 ohms or less resistance.
- Each Lightning Arrestor protects a 300 foot radius.
- There shall be a Lightning Arrestor within 25’ of the SmartLine® controller. A ground rod or adequate electrical safety ground may be used.
- There shall be a Lightning Arrestor at the end of the SmartWire™ 2-Wire path that is the maximum distance from the SmartLine® or ProLine™ controller. If the SmartWire™ path is looped, install at the furthest point from the controller.
- A stub length shall not exceed 50’ without a lightning arrestor (must be within 300’ of an existing Lightning Arrestor).