Frequently Asked Questions
- Weathermatic was founded in 1945 (Dallas, TX based)
- World’s leader in smart irrigation control technology
- More than 500,000 smart controllers installed in 85 countries
- Fifteen-year record of reliability, performance and water savings
- Some clients include: Pearl Harbor, Buckingham Palace, U.S. Capitol Building, Arlington National Cemetary, Bank of America, JPMorganChase, Publix, Home Depot, In-N-Out Burger, UCLA, Clemson University, Texas A&M, SMU, CBRE, GGP and JLL.
Throughout 90%+ of HOA and Multi-Family properties, traditional irrigation timer-based controllers water on weekly schedules that once programmed, are rarely changed. Because of this, they tend to over water by 30-60%. These “timers” also do not take into account varying types of sprinklers, soils, plants and ever-changing weather conditions. A common symptom is over watering, which not only injures plants but creates runoff that can lead to costly damage to pavement and walkways.
The most important part of an irrigation system is the “brains”– the controller. Like the dashboard of a car, you need to have critical information provided to you in order to drive. Sadly, conventional controllers do not have the technology to give you the feedback, visibility and control needed to run your system efficiently. Smart irrigation controllers adjust watering to meet the plants changing needs for water throughout the year, unlike a typical watering schedule that is commonly not changed at all. Smart irrigation controllers use weather readings, like temperature and rainfall, to develop the optimum watering schedule for the plants and turf. By making 365 annual adjustments smart irrigation controllers save 30-60% of water usage, improve plant health and beauty, eliminate runoff, and put an end to watering worries.
State-of-the-art smart control systems go a step further and integrate advanced system diagnostics, measure flow rates to identify breaks, and offer web and mobile access for remote programming, reports, asset tagging, standardized inspection templates, and alert notification.
No, just the opposite. By applying the correct amounts of water for the various plant types, you will receive a healthier more consistent landscape. The #1 cause of landscape lose is actually over watering.
The price of water is rising faster than most all other utility services and water is generally a top 5 HOA operating cost. With up to 70% of water use coming from irrigation and 50% of commercial properties over watering according to the EPA, there is a tremendous opportunity to save water and money by upgrading to an intelligent irrigation and water management system.
YES, the Weathermatic SmartLink control platform will retrofit perfectly to most automatic irrigation systems. Because the retrofit upgrade to Weathermatic involves the control system only, it should operate with your existing irrigation pipes, valves and sprinklers and not require any digging. However, if you have 2-wire controllers the decoders will need to be replaced in addition to the controller. We can upgrade 2-wire systems, but they will need to be priced separately as they do not qualify for the As-a-Service program.
There is never a “perfect” irrigation system due to the harsh outdoor environments and aging sprinkler equipment. The Weathermatic system is an ideal first step to a system upgrade because its diagnostic tools help the landscaper find hidden valves in the ground and identify electrical problems with the existing system. Plus, the mobile inspection application makes it easy to identify repair items in a professional and standardized format with actual photos of the issues for streamlined work order approval.
YES, HOAs are upgrading to SmartLink even after recently installing other systems. The reason is that many other systems, specifically those with central control, are highly complex, costly to maintain and difficult to keep running.
YES, the controllers are EPA Water Sense certified and have over a 14-year record of reliability, performance and water savings. Your water district may offer water conservation rebates that could cover the entire equipment cost.
SmartLink operates over a secure, fast and reliable cellular network. All network services are included and there is no need for you to enter into a separate service plan. The FBI recently issued an announcement that Wi-Fi sprinkler controllers may expose consumers to cyber exploitation. View here https://www.ic3.gov/media/2017/171017-1.aspx
YES, there is a FREE mobile app for both iPhone and Andriod smart phones available at iTunes and Google Play.
YES, Weathermatic can work with a community’s current LMC, the Associa Advantage landscape partner BrightView or can provide a list of our Premier Partners in the area. All of our Premier Partners are highly experienced professionals that are trained/certified on the SmartLink technology.
YES. If the LMC is not currently a Premier Partner of Weathermatic, we can provide training that would cover programming, operations and monitoring.
- More effectively manage water usage while enhancing the level of service they provide to the community with 24/7 access and automatic alerts
- Improved operational efficiencies (labor & fuel) with remote access and standardized inspection tools
- Greater visibility into the property and immediate response to irrigation issues
- Reduced unscheduled / unreimbursed site visits with remote control
- Standardized site inspection reporting and repair approval tracking
Contact Jamie Hahn at Weathermatic.
Phone: 732.241.7551 | Email: email@example.com
For us to begin an initial savings analysis, we will need the following to start:
- Name and address of the community
- Community manager contact
- Annual water spend (for irrigation only)
- Number of irrigation controllers (with # of zones/stations per controller)
- Current Landscape Maintenance Contractor
- Annual Landscape Maintenance Contract